Developed Model for a Blood Bank for Improvement in Blood Collection
How Analytics saved Lives…
Despite the increased awareness regarding blood donation and advancements in blood transfusion process, there always exists a mismatch between availability and demand of blood in India. Meager co-ordination among donors and collection channels is the prime reason for this mismatch.
One of our clients approached us with a similar problem. Mismatch between blood required and blood available with them led to lots of casualties.
One of the major blood banks of India
We built not only a robust model in place for overcoming the mismatch problem but also a reliable algorithm for prediction of availability and demand.
In the initial stage, we meticulously surveyed doctors, phlebotomists, donors and blood bank staff.
• It was followed by assembling blood bank data, medication histories of patients and identifications of key drivers.
• Process analysis led us to discern bottleneck of the collection procedure
• We emphasized on analysis of historical donation patterns at the blood bank for each donor on different parameters.
• We were thus able to approach ‘right donors’ at the ‘right time’ to maintain the blood inventories.
• 70% improvement in blood collection.
• Process innovation.
• Approaching ‘right’ donors not only increased availability of rare blood groups but also led to collection of pathologically certified ‘quality’ blood.
• Prediction model matched actual donation patterns.
• Time and Cost savings for Blood bank and patients too.
• Lesser casualties thus saving lives!